As time goes by, you may feel like you’re running out of ideas for what to get mom for Mother’s Day. And if she is living in a senior living community, you may be at a loss on what to give your senior loved one that she’ll really appreciate. No worries; we’ve got 7 Mother’s Day Gift Ideas for Any Age that she’s sure to love:
The very best gift you can give your mom, mother-in-law, grandma, aunt, sister, daughter, friend and any mom in your life — no matter her age — is the gift of time. Particularly as our moms age, hanging out together is important and can actually help prevent health complications from loneliness in seniors.
- Movies. Whether your buy a DVD, rent a movie, queue one up on your TV or go to the cinema, watching a movie together is some quality relaxing time to spend with each other. Try to find one of mom’s favorite old classics and watch it with her — then spend time after talking about the movie (and life in general).
- Girl makeover time. Take mom to the salon for a new hairdo and a mani/pedi. Or, if that’s not in the cards, bring the salon to mom! Well, maybe not for a haircut, but find a nail polish color she’d like and paint her nails and toes. Get her some new makeup and doll her up.
- Dinner in. Buy all the right healthy ingredients for a spectacular meal that she’ll love and cook it for her. Don’t let her lift a finger! Then, over dinner, really talk to her. Need ideas? Check out some conversation starter tips for your senior loved ones.
- A night (or day) on the town. That may have some different meaning for the mom in your life now, but you can still go out. Whether lunch and shopping, dinner at herfavorite restaurant or strolling in the park, having a carefree day together is sure to create some wonderful memories.
If your mom or grandma has an empty nest or is retired, she’ll likely love a gift of something she can dothat brings her joy.
- Puzzles. Is she a fan of tropical islands, or does she prefer architectural wonders? There are some really beautiful puzzles out there that would look beautiful matted and hung on her wall once she works to put it all together.
- Gardening. Even if she doesn’t have a lot of outdoor space or she can’t spend all afternoon on her knees tending to a garden, mom can still grow life! Buy her an herb garden or some flowerpots and seeds for her favorite flowers (or foods!).
- Books. Find out what genre she likes to read or who her favorite authors are and get her a new book or two. Or, if you think she’d be receptive, buy her an e-reader like a Kindle. The lighting makes it easier to read anywhere, there’s no awkwardly holding the pages, and you can make the font bigger if needed.
Your mom, grandma, mother-in-law, aunt, sister or special woman in your life doesn’t need a gift you spent a fortune on; she just needs to know that you care. These 7 Mother’s Day Gift Ideas for Any Age are thoughtful and easy to give no matter her style. Have you ever gotten a really special Mother’s Day gift? Tell us about it in the comments.
At American House, www.americanhouse.com we know how much the moms in your life mean to you. They mean a lot to us, too! That’s why we think of them like family. Read some resident testimonials http://blog.americanhouse.com/category/testimonials/ and call us today at (248) 579-4422 to schedule a tour and see how much your loved one will enjoy living in one of our communities!