Guest Blog for American House
By Luc Bergevin, Caring.com Author
What goes into a great senior living community? Is it the friendly staff? A clean, safe, welcoming environment? The food? The best communities strike a precise balance between these and a multitude of other factors.
Residents and their families expect the highest-quality care, and are expressing their feedback more and more on reviews sites — not just in private conversations. Comments range from how well communities are serving basic needs to opinions about the menus, décor, activities, and other personal preferences for living. As American House puts it, “You’ll enjoy life on your terms.”
To raise awareness about the best assisted living and memory care communities in America, and recognizing the importance of consumer reviews in its Senior Care Directory, Caring.com launched the “Caring Stars” program in 2012. Caring Stars now represent the top 1% of providers nationwide.
Seven American House communities were among the honorees for superior service in 2013. These communities make up more than a third of the Caring Stars in Michigan, and serve as a testament to the power of actively engaging with and encouraging reviews from residents and families.
Below are some of the great things folks have said about American House on Caring.com:
• American House Westland Hunter Senior Living: “Their staff is amazing, they really take care of residents. . . . They offer good advice for residents’ families about programs that could help out for whatever kind of situation you may come across with your family member.”
• Regent Street, A Signature American House Community: “Anything my grandmother needed, she received efficiently and accurately. She needed a great deal of assistance and it was very difficult for her to let go of some of her control. The staff did an amazing job of making her feel as though she still had some self-control and dignity.”
• American House East II Senior Living: “The staff seemed very attentive to the needs of the residents and I came away feeling very confident in the level of care that my great- aunt was receiving. It is a wonderful, clean, and friendly environment that I highly recommend.”
• American House Lakeside: “The staff is very accommodating and they know everybody. They will call me immediately about any concerns. I have no problems and I would recommend them. We’re really happy with our choice.”
• American House North Senior Living — Flint: “American House North Senior Assisted Living has been great for me too. It is close to where I live, so I can easily visit my mom. It has also given me a sense of peace. . . . She is in a loving, safe community with great staff, activities, and friends.”
• American House Farmington Hills Senior Living: “I think all American Houses are very dependable. Everyone was very friendly and helpful.”
• American House Sterling Heights Senior Living: “My mother is given very good care at American House. We know she cannot live alone. . . . It gives us great peace of mind knowing she is there.”
We recently interviewed Ann Marie Folland, executive director of American House Sterling Heights, and asked about what makes her community so successful. She credited the genuine care of her team. “We embrace an attitude of not only providing a comfortable and safe living environment, but also of making a positive impact on the lives of seniors.”
As these award-winning American House communities have shown, delivering exceptional service is noticed by residents and families, whose reviews help spread the good word about special senior living communities. You can share your American House feedback on Caring.com too. Be sure to check out “Facts Every Reviewer Should Know” before doing so, and be proud of the fact that you’re helping other families to make the right senior care decision for their loved ones.